What's A Yard Pastor?|
More than another Prison Volunteer
A Yard Pastor is a volunteer who has a special clearance from the prison administration to work principally on one yard housing approximately 1000+ men; to assist the institutional Protestant Chaplain by serving as pastor to the inmate congregation of the chapel on that yard or facility.
Here are some of the duties of a Yard Pastor
- Conducting Sunday worship services
- Supervising prayer meetings
- Conducting Bible Studies
- Hosting Christian videos
- Escorting and facilitating volunteer groups
- Helping with family death notifications
- Offering individual Christian counseling
- Conducting baptisms and other pastoral functions
- Sponsoring the Chaplain's Inmate Advisory Council
- Facilitating ongoing Kairos Prison Ministry functions
- Working with inmate chapel clerks
Through changing lives, Yard Pastors help SAVE:
Money and Resources - Recidivism caused by the inevitable cycle of incarceration, release, despair, victimization, apprehension, conviction, and reincarceration is BROKEN.
Time - When a substantial portion of a prison yards population become "new creatures in Christ", the prison staff spends less time controlling irresponsible behavior.
Families - By teaching inmates to be accountable and responsible for their loved ones (Ephesians 5)
Lives - Both the inmates and their potential victims.
Yard Pastors ARE making a Difference!